Skip to main content

windows server 2003 - How can I prevent an unintentional DDOS running ColdFusion 8 with IIS 6?

We had an interesting outage today on one of our client's
websites. Out of nowhere, the website was inaccessible. The website runs by itself on a
dedicated physical Windows 2003 R2 server (probably overkill, I know, but that's a
discussion for a different day). After restarting IIS and ColdFusion Application
Service, the problem came back several times. My initial thought was that it was a DNS
issue, which happens occasionally - the last time it happened was after Hurricane Sandy
when we our ISP was out, and we had to make some network config changes. But, it was not
a DNS issue. My second thought was that it was a DDOS attack, but, there's very little
reason anyone would want to take this site down. When we called our ISP, the operator on
the other end noted that traffic was spiking significantly. As it turned out, the client
had unintentionally caused a DDOS on the website, after they FTPed a very large video
file, and then mass emailed a link to it. Hundreds of people clicked the link and
brought the site to its knees.



I am primarily a
Website Programmer, but I often have to contribute to server administration at times.
Sadly, I'm the resident ColdFusion and IIS expert, but I don't have a lot of experience
with this issue. What are some basic steps that I can take to prevent this from
happening in the future, since we cannot always control what files the client posts to
the website.



Here are some ideas I had, but I'm
unsure of the
impact:




  1. Limit the number
    of connections in IIS.


  2. Put media files on a
    separate server (like an Amazon site, etc.).

  3. File
    requests of this type currently behind a server-script (i.e.
    /www.site.com/viewFile.cfm?fileId=1424545, where the fileId references a file off the
    webroot) that logs requests, and pushes the file to the browser using CFCONTENT. I could
    edit this script to reject requests when they exceed a certain amount in a given
    time-frame (i.e. a 5MB can be accessed globally 10 times in an hour). This may cause
    some users frustration, but, if hundreds of users are attempting to view the file, the
    site is going to crash anyways, as it did today, which is way more frustrating, since
    there is no "pretty" message explaining why they can't get to the
    file.

  4. Update Request Tuning settings in ColdFusion
    Administrator. Maximum number of simultaneous Template requests
    is currently set to 20. I could reduce this number to something like 5 just to prevent
    occurrences like this, but that would likely have an adverse affect on normal use of the
    website.



I'm open to any
suggestions, as I'm continuing my research to report to the CTO with the best options,
so that we can put a solution into effect.



Thank
you.



UPDATE: Usage Report from the time
surrounding the outage:




src="https://i.stack.imgur.com/tEQot.gif" alt="Usage Report">

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

linux - iDRAC6 Virtual Media native library cannot be loaded

When attempting to mount Virtual Media on a iDRAC6 IP KVM session I get the following error: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and: $ javaws -version Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_16 $ uname -a Linux aud22419-linux 2.6.28-15-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 31 13:39:06 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ firefox -version Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org On Windows + IE it (unsurprisingly) works. I've just gotten off the phone with the Dell tech support and I was told it is known to work on Linux + Firefox, albeit Ubuntu is not supported (by Dell, that is). Has anyone out there managed to mount virtual media in the same scenario?

hp proliant - Smart Array P822 with HBA Mode?

We get an HP DL360 G8 with an Smart Array P822 controller. On that controller will come a HP StorageWorks D2700 . Does anybody know, that it is possible to run the Smart Array P822 in HBA mode? I found only information about the P410i, who can run HBA. If this is not supported, what you think about the LSI 9207-8e controller? Will this fit good in that setup? The Hardware we get is used but all original from HP. The StorageWorks has 25 x 900 GB SAS 10K disks. Because the disks are not new I would like to use only 22 for raid6, and the rest for spare (I need to see if the disk count is optimal or not for zfs). It would be nice if I'm not stick to SAS in future. As OS I would like to install debian stretch with zfs 0.71 as file system and software raid. I have see that hp has an page for debian to. I would like to use hba mode because it is recommend, that zfs know at most as possible about the disk, and I'm independent from the raid controller. For us zfs have many benefits,

apache 2.2 - Server Potentially Compromised -- c99madshell

So, low and behold, a legacy site we've been hosting for a client had a version of FCKEditor that allowed someone to upload the dreaded c99madshell exploit onto our web host. I'm not a big security buff -- frankly I'm just a dev currently responsible for S/A duties due to a loss of personnel. Accordingly, I'd love any help you server-faulters could provide in assessing the damage from the exploit. To give you a bit of information: The file was uploaded into a directory within the webroot, "/_img/fck_uploads/File/". The Apache user and group are restricted such that they can't log in and don't have permissions outside of the directory from which we serve sites. All the files had 770 permissions (user rwx, group rwx, other none) -- something I wanted to fix but was told to hold off on as it wasn't "high priority" (hopefully this changes that). So it seems the hackers could've easily executed the script. Now I wasn't able