Skip to main content

mysql - LAMP memory management (CentOS)

First of all, I have to say I am not an expert in server
administration. I have done web programming for 10+ years on several platforms, but have
most of the time come to a readymade situation where there's IT professionals or a good
web hosting company involved.




Now I'm
finally in a spot where I was required to build a LAMP-setup from scratch (with just a
vanilla CentOS install) to serve a pretty intense Wordpress
setup.



Everything kinda went smoothly as I have
been around the block with Linux-based server administration to get things running, but
I'm getting really weird system freezes a few times per week and since I'm the only one
who can access the server and boot up services, this is REALLY
annoying.



Here's some key
data:



Server





  • 384MB
    memory

  • CentOS 5.6

  • PHP
    5.2.10

  • MySQL 5.0.77

  • Apache
    2.2.3



Usage


  • ca.
    300 articles in Wordpress


  • ca. 10k weekly
    unique users

  • ca. 100k monthly
    pageviews


  • Things
    done:




  • All static stuff (jquery,
    styles, layout images) are server from an external
    webserver.

  • Wordpress cached as heavily as possible (W3
    Total
    Cache)




I've
narrowed the problem down to memory management - or the lack thereof. For some reason
swapping is disabled on the server and once the memory consumption reaches 100% the
server simply goes into thrashing and all hope is lost. The amount of memory (384MB)
should still be more than enough to host a site with these stats, so something is done
wrong. I'm just running out of ideas what it could
be.



I've obviously tried tweaking the settings
in my.cnf, php.ini and httpd.conf but to no avail. Here's my key settings at the
moment:



my.cnf



skip-innodb
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking

skip-ndbcluster
skip-bdb
skip-networking
safe-show-database
query_cache_limit=8M
query_cache_size=48M
query_cache_type=1
max_user_connections=200
max_connections=32
interactive_timeout=60

wait_timeout=60
connect_timeout=50
thread_cache_size=4
key_buffer=
96M
join_buffer=1M
max_connect_errors=20
max_allowed_packet=32M
table_cache=1024
record_buffer=1M
sort_buffer_size=6M

read_buffer_size=6M
read_rnd_buffer_size=6M
thread_concurrency=4
myisam_sort_buffer_size=32M
server-id=1
user=mysql
tmp_table_size=64M
max_heap_table_size=48M



php.ini



memory_limit
=
128M


httpd.conf



StartServers
2
MinSpareServers 3
MaxSpareServers
5

ServerLimit 16
MaxClients
16
MaxRequestsPerChild
1000


This is the part
where it might be very self evident I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Are these
settings even remotely sensible for a 384MB server setup? What else can be done to
reduce the number of crashes where the only solution is me logging in to restart mysqld
and httpd?



I know all this is more or less been
discussed a million times before and trust me, I've gone through all the threads I've
found from Server Fault, tried all the tips and pointers, but to no
avail.



The silly thing is that we moved from a
pretty reliable web hosting setup to this way more costly virtual server setup to cut
down on worries on server stability and scaling, but it has in fact made things even
worse and no doubt 99% due to my own shortcomings as an
admin!




So please, gurus, help me out
a bit. I promise I'll never bitch to an IT guy about anything and will write only code
that's easy to deploy, won't crash in the middle of the night and generally remember you
in a positive way on other days in addition to Sysadmin Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

linux - iDRAC6 Virtual Media native library cannot be loaded

When attempting to mount Virtual Media on a iDRAC6 IP KVM session I get the following error: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and: $ javaws -version Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_16 $ uname -a Linux aud22419-linux 2.6.28-15-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 31 13:39:06 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ firefox -version Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org On Windows + IE it (unsurprisingly) works. I've just gotten off the phone with the Dell tech support and I was told it is known to work on Linux + Firefox, albeit Ubuntu is not supported (by Dell, that is). Has anyone out there managed to mount virtual media in the same scenario?

hp proliant - Smart Array P822 with HBA Mode?

We get an HP DL360 G8 with an Smart Array P822 controller. On that controller will come a HP StorageWorks D2700 . Does anybody know, that it is possible to run the Smart Array P822 in HBA mode? I found only information about the P410i, who can run HBA. If this is not supported, what you think about the LSI 9207-8e controller? Will this fit good in that setup? The Hardware we get is used but all original from HP. The StorageWorks has 25 x 900 GB SAS 10K disks. Because the disks are not new I would like to use only 22 for raid6, and the rest for spare (I need to see if the disk count is optimal or not for zfs). It would be nice if I'm not stick to SAS in future. As OS I would like to install debian stretch with zfs 0.71 as file system and software raid. I have see that hp has an page for debian to. I would like to use hba mode because it is recommend, that zfs know at most as possible about the disk, and I'm independent from the raid controller. For us zfs have many benefits,

apache 2.2 - Server Potentially Compromised -- c99madshell

So, low and behold, a legacy site we've been hosting for a client had a version of FCKEditor that allowed someone to upload the dreaded c99madshell exploit onto our web host. I'm not a big security buff -- frankly I'm just a dev currently responsible for S/A duties due to a loss of personnel. Accordingly, I'd love any help you server-faulters could provide in assessing the damage from the exploit. To give you a bit of information: The file was uploaded into a directory within the webroot, "/_img/fck_uploads/File/". The Apache user and group are restricted such that they can't log in and don't have permissions outside of the directory from which we serve sites. All the files had 770 permissions (user rwx, group rwx, other none) -- something I wanted to fix but was told to hold off on as it wasn't "high priority" (hopefully this changes that). So it seems the hackers could've easily executed the script. Now I wasn't able