Skip to main content

linux - Which *light* ubuntu to use as a git central server?




At my company we're currently using a self-deployed copy of the http://gitorious.org code to manage our repositories..




It's an absolute monster!!



Gitorious is a very heavy ruby on rails app and the server crashes about every 2 weeks..



It's running Ubuntu Server 10.04



And it has 1GB of RAM!!



Were a team of about 5 developers with currently about 10 repositories including stuff like vim configs etc..




I'm thinking about switching us back to gitosis running on an old CLI / Server edition of ubuntu..



Ideally i'd like to have it running as light as possible on a box with 256mb of ram..



Which ubuntu is new enough to support all the gitosis dependancies and but old enough to cope under 256mb of ram?



Thanks very much



Daniel



Answer



I would definitely advice gitolite. We use gitosis in house, manage a bunch of repositories that are about 20G in size compressed and have a lot of developers accessing them 24/7. The server usage is very light, never had an issue. Gitolite only improves upon gitosis and provides much finer grain of access control. I think we would be moving in that direction pretty soon.



We moved to gitolite and couldn't have been happier. Provides much better error checking and has much better grouping. Another thing we've learned that RW provides much of the necessary access but RW+ allows remote branch deletion privileges.



Next stop gitlab. But the latest version of gitlab stopped using gitolite for credentials management so we are skeptical about over-hauling our access management. Again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iLO 3 Firmware Update (HP Proliant DL380 G7)

The iLO web interface allows me to upload a .bin file ( Obtain the firmware image (.bin) file from the Online ROM Flash Component for HP Integrated Lights-Out. ) The iLO web interface redirects me to a page in the HP support website ( http://www.hp.com/go/iLO ) where I am supposed to find this .bin firmware, but no luck for me. The support website is a mess and very slow, badly categorized and generally unusable. Where can I find this .bin file? The only related link I am able to find asks me about my server operating system (what does this have to do with the iLO?!) and lets me download an .iso with no .bin file And also a related question: what is the latest iLO 3 version? (for Proliant DL380 G7, not sure if the iLO is tied to the server model)

linux - How can I get my mediawiki to stop thinking I have cookies disabled?

I've searched half a day for how to resolve this issue, and can't figure it out. Shortly after I made my wiki a simple private wiki according to the instructions at Mediawiki's website, it started giving me this weird login error message: Wiki uses cookies to log in users. You have cookies disabled. Please enable them and try again. If I remove those private wiki settings, the error disappears, even if I try logging in. But I need it to be a private wiki for only my team. So what do I do? Here's what I've done so far. Just to be safe, after ever change, I try rebooting Apache using: sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart In my php.ini file, I have the following set: session.save_path = "/var/lib/php5" session.cookie_secure = secure session.cookie_path = /tmp session.cookie_domain = my server's internal URL (should I even set this? this field was blank before, but not commented out) session.referer_check = Off I ran the following to ensure that the fold...

linux - Awstats - outputting stats for merged Access_logs only producing stats for one server's log

I've been attempting this for two weeks and I've accessed countless number of sites on this issue and it seems there is something I'm not getting here and I'm at a lost. I manged to figure out how to merge logs from two servers together. (Taking care to only merge the matching domains together) The logs from the first server span from 15 Dec 2012 to 8 April 2014 The logs from the second server span from 2 Mar 2014 to 9 April 2014 I was able to successfully merge them using the logresolvemerge.pl script simply enermerating each log and > out_putting_it_to_file Looking at the two logs from each server the format seems exactly the same. The problem I'm having is producing the stats page for the logs. The command I've boiled it down to is /usr/share/awstats/tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl -configdir=/home/User/Documents/conf/ -config=example.com awstatsprog=/usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl dir=/home/User/Documents/parced -month=all -year=all...