Skip to main content

networking - Subnetting/Supernetting Configuration

itemprop="text">


I have an existing network.
It looks like this.



Router LAN (192.168.0.1 /24)
-> Switch (192.168.0.10 /24) -> Workstations (192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200
/24)



Our network has expanded and I need to have
more hosts available.



The simplest way to do
this is to change the router's inside interface subnet (/24) to a supernet
(/23).



This will give me
192.168.0.0-192.168.1.254 instead of just
192.168.0.0-192.168.0.254.




That is
exactly what I want.



My question is
do I need to adjust the subnet masks on hosts on either the 192.168.0.0
/24 network or 192.168.1.0 /24 network or should they continue to work having only
changed the subnet mask on the inside interface of the
router?



The reason I'm confused
is 192.168.0.0 /24 and 192.168.1.0 /24 are both part of 192.168.0.0 /23 so in my mind
there is not a need to change the subnet masks of hosts in those smaller networks but
having made the subnet mask change only to the inside interface of the router I am not
able to communicate with a host with the static IP address
192.168.1.40.



Finally, I would
like to know if I need to change the subnet mask on the hosts, the switches, or
both.


itemprop="text">
class="normal">Answer



If you do
this, then yes, you will need to change the netmask of all the hosts connected to the
network, otherwise you will get annoying problems like hosts in different networks not
being able to communicate. The ethernet-level method of contacting a host differs
according to whether the destination host is on the same network or not, the netmask is
used to determine whether this is the
case.




The good news is that it only
applies to communication between hosts in different (old or new) parts of the network.
You can change the netmask on the router, then on all of the hosts, and then start
adding hosts in the new part of the network.



If
reconfiguring all the hosts is cumbersome, I would add a second IP
(192.168.1.1/24) to your router's inside interface. Communication between the two
networks would (at least to some extent) go through the router's inside interface, so if
you plan to have a massive amount of communication between hosts in your network you may
not want that. You could instead add something bigger, like 172.16.0.0/16, and gradually
move over your computers from the old
network.



You might want to investigate DHCP,
especially if some part of your hosts are user machines that usually do not need to be
contacted.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

linux - iDRAC6 Virtual Media native library cannot be loaded

When attempting to mount Virtual Media on a iDRAC6 IP KVM session I get the following error: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and: $ javaws -version Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_16 $ uname -a Linux aud22419-linux 2.6.28-15-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 31 13:39:06 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ firefox -version Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org On Windows + IE it (unsurprisingly) works. I've just gotten off the phone with the Dell tech support and I was told it is known to work on Linux + Firefox, albeit Ubuntu is not supported (by Dell, that is). Has anyone out there managed to mount virtual media in the same scenario?

hp proliant - Smart Array P822 with HBA Mode?

We get an HP DL360 G8 with an Smart Array P822 controller. On that controller will come a HP StorageWorks D2700 . Does anybody know, that it is possible to run the Smart Array P822 in HBA mode? I found only information about the P410i, who can run HBA. If this is not supported, what you think about the LSI 9207-8e controller? Will this fit good in that setup? The Hardware we get is used but all original from HP. The StorageWorks has 25 x 900 GB SAS 10K disks. Because the disks are not new I would like to use only 22 for raid6, and the rest for spare (I need to see if the disk count is optimal or not for zfs). It would be nice if I'm not stick to SAS in future. As OS I would like to install debian stretch with zfs 0.71 as file system and software raid. I have see that hp has an page for debian to. I would like to use hba mode because it is recommend, that zfs know at most as possible about the disk, and I'm independent from the raid controller. For us zfs have many benefits,

apache 2.2 - Server Potentially Compromised -- c99madshell

So, low and behold, a legacy site we've been hosting for a client had a version of FCKEditor that allowed someone to upload the dreaded c99madshell exploit onto our web host. I'm not a big security buff -- frankly I'm just a dev currently responsible for S/A duties due to a loss of personnel. Accordingly, I'd love any help you server-faulters could provide in assessing the damage from the exploit. To give you a bit of information: The file was uploaded into a directory within the webroot, "/_img/fck_uploads/File/". The Apache user and group are restricted such that they can't log in and don't have permissions outside of the directory from which we serve sites. All the files had 770 permissions (user rwx, group rwx, other none) -- something I wanted to fix but was told to hold off on as it wasn't "high priority" (hopefully this changes that). So it seems the hackers could've easily executed the script. Now I wasn't able