Skip to main content

domain name system - Initial Windows 2008 VPS Setup



I've just got my first VPS server, yay! It'll primarilly be used for my own hosting (I'm a Web Application Developer) and for friends & family.




It's just been all setup fro me bare bones and I have RDP to jump on and play around. But not that I've installed the basic roles, database engine, hMailServer (not fully configured yet) etc, I've feeling slightly in over my head.



When I signed up I provided these settings:
Host name: myhostname.co.nz
NS1 Prefix: barry
NS2 Prefix: terry



I then received my two IP addresses (say):
155.255.355.555
155.255.355.556



Confusion area 1:



I think the main confusion is around DNS and how all that jazz works... I added the DNS role and follow some basic instructions from here: Install & Configure Windows DNS Service




Was I correct in following that? Is there a better tutorial out there?



Note I replaced details in the tutorial with the settings above. So the DNS Manager looks something like:




(same as parent folder) Start of Authority (SOA) [5], barry.myhostname.co.nz., info.myhostname.co.nz.
(same as parent folder) Name Server (NZ) barry.myhostname.co.nz.
(same as parent folder) Name Server (NZ) terry.myhostname.co.nz.
(same as parent folder) Host (A) 155.255.355.555.

(same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) [10] mail.myhostname.co.nz.
ftp Alias (CNAME) myhostname.co.nz.
mail Host (A) 155.255.355.556.
www Alias (CNAME) myhostname.co.nz.


Does that look right?



Would I basically do the same for each domain that I want to host on the VPS?




Confusion area 2:



What do I now do with my domain registrar entries for myhostname.co.nz? It's still pointing at my old shared hosting account...



Then for other sites I want hosted, I guess that the named servers will be barry.myhostname.co.nz & terry.myhostname.co.nz.



-



If you need more info just ask. Sorry if the question is rather open and/or doesn't make too much sense but as I say I'm feeling slightly in over my head (first time in a while! ;-). Any help would be appreciated.




Thanks,
Charles


Answer



That tutorial is pretty correct, although personally I wouldn't have created the records in the text file first, I would have used the GUI, but I guess thats up to personal preference. So yes when you add more domains you will need to create a new zone for that domain.



As for question2, as you are hosting your own domain you need to setup name server records and then change this at your registrar. So I assume from following the tutorial you already have DNS records for ns1.hyhostname.co.nz and ns2.hyhostname.co.nz, or what ever your name servers are, with two separate IP's. You need need to go to the configuration site of your registrar, in here you should have an option to set-up name servers, where you will enter the names of your name servers, and then because they are on the same domain, it will ask you for the IP of them too. Once that's done, your server will now be used for DNS. Each registrars site is different so can't really tell you exactly how to do that without knowing who it is.



When it comes to adding more domains, you can either go through the same process again at the registrar, or alternatively get them to change their name servers to the ones we just setup, this is a bit quicker as it won't ask for the IP, as they are on a seperate domain.



Looking at your zone you've added to the question, it looks good aside from the name servers, you have setup nameserver records for the two ns records, but you need to create A records for each of these name servers that map the name to an IP, as you have 2 IP's, you should use 1 IP for each nameserver A record.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

linux - iDRAC6 Virtual Media native library cannot be loaded

When attempting to mount Virtual Media on a iDRAC6 IP KVM session I get the following error: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and: $ javaws -version Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_16 $ uname -a Linux aud22419-linux 2.6.28-15-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 31 13:39:06 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ firefox -version Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org On Windows + IE it (unsurprisingly) works. I've just gotten off the phone with the Dell tech support and I was told it is known to work on Linux + Firefox, albeit Ubuntu is not supported (by Dell, that is). Has anyone out there managed to mount virtual media in the same scenario?

hp proliant - Smart Array P822 with HBA Mode?

We get an HP DL360 G8 with an Smart Array P822 controller. On that controller will come a HP StorageWorks D2700 . Does anybody know, that it is possible to run the Smart Array P822 in HBA mode? I found only information about the P410i, who can run HBA. If this is not supported, what you think about the LSI 9207-8e controller? Will this fit good in that setup? The Hardware we get is used but all original from HP. The StorageWorks has 25 x 900 GB SAS 10K disks. Because the disks are not new I would like to use only 22 for raid6, and the rest for spare (I need to see if the disk count is optimal or not for zfs). It would be nice if I'm not stick to SAS in future. As OS I would like to install debian stretch with zfs 0.71 as file system and software raid. I have see that hp has an page for debian to. I would like to use hba mode because it is recommend, that zfs know at most as possible about the disk, and I'm independent from the raid controller. For us zfs have many benefits,

apache 2.2 - Server Potentially Compromised -- c99madshell

So, low and behold, a legacy site we've been hosting for a client had a version of FCKEditor that allowed someone to upload the dreaded c99madshell exploit onto our web host. I'm not a big security buff -- frankly I'm just a dev currently responsible for S/A duties due to a loss of personnel. Accordingly, I'd love any help you server-faulters could provide in assessing the damage from the exploit. To give you a bit of information: The file was uploaded into a directory within the webroot, "/_img/fck_uploads/File/". The Apache user and group are restricted such that they can't log in and don't have permissions outside of the directory from which we serve sites. All the files had 770 permissions (user rwx, group rwx, other none) -- something I wanted to fix but was told to hold off on as it wasn't "high priority" (hopefully this changes that). So it seems the hackers could've easily executed the script. Now I wasn't able