Skip to main content

active directory - Any downside to adding a UPN instead of trying to correct our AD domain name?

itemprop="text">

Unfortunately I inherited an Active
Directory domain whose name is a DNS name the company does not own - we'll call it
ABC.com. I would like it to be something under company.com instead (per href="https://serverfault.com/a/473530/17708">MDMarra's answer on AD naming
I'd probably use ad.company.com since you never want to use a DNS name you use for
anything else), but the hard requirement for now is to be able to move email to Office
365 this year and using Directory Synchronization. For that, it looks like at a minimum
I need a matching UPN to our email domain (company.com). Ok, href="https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-prepare-a-non-routable-domain-such-as-local-domain-for-directory-synchronization-e7968303-c234-46c4-b8b0-b5c93c6d57a7"
rel="noreferrer">the process for adding a second UPN seems simple enough.
Testing it and moving accounts over until they are all on the desired UPN seems
reasonable enough.



Is there any
downside to just doing this? Will the technical debt grim reaper eventually arrive if we
stay on this 'non-owned' domain name of ABC.com indefinitely?




For reference, we have a single
forest, single domain with everything (forest, functional level, all DCs) at 2012R2
level and Exchange 2010 on this domain. There are around 150 users and 450 computers in
AD (lots of dev/test automation). While I've safely navigated us from 2003 forward to
2012R2, I would by no means call myself an expert at
AD.



It doesn't look like domain renames are
generally advised, and since we have Exchange 2010 on our domain I don't believe it
would even be an option.



As I see it, I could
either:




  • add a second UPN
    and be done. I can deal with having to manually set the UPN on things as we create/add
    them...

  • add a second domain to the forest, move
    everything over, and always have this legacy root domain forever that I can't
    remove


  • create a second forest, forest
    <-> forest trust, do everything the way I really want it on this new forest from
    the ground up...move everything, and eventually remove the original forest. Really slow,
    really carefully, tested forwards and back, and probably at great expense (at a minimum
    in time spent). In a dream world this seems best, but I am not sure I can justify a
    business case for this (unless someone states a grim reaper arrival will
    occur).

  • ??? something else I haven't thought of


itemprop="text">
class="normal">Answer



So,
existential crisis about not owning the domain you're using internally aside - from an
Office 365 perspective this is fine. Office 365 cares about verifying the email domains
that you have in use, not your AD domain. So the approach that you've taken by changing
the UPNs to match the users' email addresses is appropriate and
correct.



Now, from a purely AD perspective, you
will never be able to get a third party certificate for that internal DNS domain since
you don't own it. This may or may not be an issue for you. You'll also never be able to
make a trust with another domain that shares the same name, so in the unlikely event
that you merge with the company that owns that domain and they are also using that name,
you'll have migration nightmares. I'd imagine the probability of this is somewhere close
to 0.



It's a lot of work
and potentially very disruptive to end users to rename or migrate out of a domain. At
this point, I'm typically of the opinion that you should just leave the poorly named
domain unless one of those edge cases is causing you heartache and just make sure you
get it right on the next go-around :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

linux - iDRAC6 Virtual Media native library cannot be loaded

When attempting to mount Virtual Media on a iDRAC6 IP KVM session I get the following error: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and: $ javaws -version Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_16 $ uname -a Linux aud22419-linux 2.6.28-15-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 31 13:39:06 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ firefox -version Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org On Windows + IE it (unsurprisingly) works. I've just gotten off the phone with the Dell tech support and I was told it is known to work on Linux + Firefox, albeit Ubuntu is not supported (by Dell, that is). Has anyone out there managed to mount virtual media in the same scenario?

hp proliant - Smart Array P822 with HBA Mode?

We get an HP DL360 G8 with an Smart Array P822 controller. On that controller will come a HP StorageWorks D2700 . Does anybody know, that it is possible to run the Smart Array P822 in HBA mode? I found only information about the P410i, who can run HBA. If this is not supported, what you think about the LSI 9207-8e controller? Will this fit good in that setup? The Hardware we get is used but all original from HP. The StorageWorks has 25 x 900 GB SAS 10K disks. Because the disks are not new I would like to use only 22 for raid6, and the rest for spare (I need to see if the disk count is optimal or not for zfs). It would be nice if I'm not stick to SAS in future. As OS I would like to install debian stretch with zfs 0.71 as file system and software raid. I have see that hp has an page for debian to. I would like to use hba mode because it is recommend, that zfs know at most as possible about the disk, and I'm independent from the raid controller. For us zfs have many benefits,

apache 2.2 - Server Potentially Compromised -- c99madshell

So, low and behold, a legacy site we've been hosting for a client had a version of FCKEditor that allowed someone to upload the dreaded c99madshell exploit onto our web host. I'm not a big security buff -- frankly I'm just a dev currently responsible for S/A duties due to a loss of personnel. Accordingly, I'd love any help you server-faulters could provide in assessing the damage from the exploit. To give you a bit of information: The file was uploaded into a directory within the webroot, "/_img/fck_uploads/File/". The Apache user and group are restricted such that they can't log in and don't have permissions outside of the directory from which we serve sites. All the files had 770 permissions (user rwx, group rwx, other none) -- something I wanted to fix but was told to hold off on as it wasn't "high priority" (hopefully this changes that). So it seems the hackers could've easily executed the script. Now I wasn't able